Sunday, October 2, 2011

Meatless Monday: Bulgar Taco Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing

It's been really amazing to me that Meatless Monday has become something my family (well, OK, maybe just Ben) looks forward to. I can count on him asking, "So, what's for Meatless Monday?" when he walks in the door. Keeps me on my toes to find appealing recipes!

I've had a bag of dry bulgar wheat in the pantry, and have been wanting to work with it, so I looked up recipes, and found one for Bulgar Taco Salad. I happened to have the other ingredients on hand as well, so it was an easy decision.
DSC_2539
recipe adapted from Get Natured

If you've not tried Bulgar, you really should add it to your grain repertoire. When cooked, it is a chewy, dense grain that actually works very well in a meat-substitute dish.

DSC_2508

To make the salad, you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup dry bulgar wheat
  • 1 15 oz can black or pinto beans, rinsed well **I used dark red kidney beans
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 4 cups lettuce **I used Boston/Butter lettuce, but it's really just a personal preference, just don't use Iceberg, please! ;)
DSC_2507
  1. Place 1 cup of water and the dried bulgar in saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the water has been absorbed, and grain is tender (about 12-15 minutes). Uncover and let cool. *I boiled my bulgar in vegetable broth to up the flavor.
  2. Combine bulgar, beans, corn, green onions, and tomato.
Cast of Characters for the dressing
DSC_2512

Cilantro-Lime Dressing
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, packed
  • 1 tsp agave nectar or honey
  • 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder (adjust to desired level of spice)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tso Mexican oregano
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
Mix well, and add to the bulgar/veggie mix. Stir well to coat all the veggies.
Serve bulgar mix atop a bed of the lettuce, and top with diced avocado.

Nutrition Round-Up
* The bulgar wheat and kidney beans are great sources of protein, iron and fiber
* Tomatoes pack an antioxidant punch
* Avocados are good sources of fiber, folate, and Vitamin K, as well as Monounsaturated fat
info via here

No comments:

Post a Comment