Saturday, October 22, 2011

Brunch Delight Part I: Creamy Carrot Soup

I recently hosted a brunch for my Book Club.  Despite the fact that we've moved into the South American "Spring," our weather has been drizzly and cool, so I was all about a comfort food menu.  Naturally, soup came to mind, but I wanted something pure and essential in flavor.  You could not ask for a simpler and tastier soup than this Creamy Carrot - I promise.

DSC_2866.NEF

Creamy Carrot Soup
 Servings:  4-6
Ingredients (don't get too overwhelmed):
  • 4 cups Carrots, sliced (about 6-7 carrots)
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 5 cups Milk (I used whole)
  • Pinch of salt and pepper
Directions (so simple, there's not pictorials):
  • Clean* and slice all the carrots
  • Chop the onion
  • In a Dutch Oven, sauté the carrots and onion in the butter for about 10 minutes 
  •  Add the milk, salt and pepper, and let simmer for about 30 minutes
  • Pour contents into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.   *You might need to do this in a couple of batches. 
  • Garnish with a touch of cream, if desired and serve warm
*Tips*
*  I never peel my carrots.   A good majority of the vitamins and minerals in a carrot lie just beneath the skin.  Peeling can remove a lot of that goodness.  Instead, I scrub carrots with soap and water to remove any dirt or residue.
*  The original recipe I used suggested straining the soup after pureeing, however, I found it unnecessary.  Besides, I didn't want to strain out all that good veggie fiber!

    I know this is one I'll come back to time and again for its elegant simplicity.
    DSC_2862.NEF
    Recipe adapted from here

    No comments:

    Post a Comment