Thursday, September 15, 2011

Quickie Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

...Aka: the Least Photogenic Food. Seriously. It's tough to take a pretty picture of enchiladas, especially once they've been plated up. Poor lighting doesn't help. Witness:

DSC_2396


Anyway...it was one of those afternoons when I inventoried the fridge, and tried to decide what to make for dinner based on a Google search of, "Chicken Breast and Spinach recipes." I don't necessarily recommend this tactic, but in this case, it worked.
I found a recipe for chicken and spinach enchiladas that didn't seem to involve hours of work or a trip to the grocery store. Score.

Deciding to photograph the process, and release it to the world was another thing altogether BUT I promised to keep this food blog free of unrealistically-perfect cookery, so here goes:

First, boil about 2 lbs of bone-in chicken. (I {ahem} had two breasts.) I always put onion and celery in the water so I then have an impromptu soup base for later. The recipe also called for cumin and coriander. Done.
While the chicken was doing its thing, I quickly sauteed a package of chopped, frozen spinach. Once the chicken was done and cooled, I deboned the meat, and put it into a food processor with the cooked spinach, and pulsed until "well chopped."

DSC_2387
Have you ever seen the product of a cow chewing its cud? No? Well, now you have.


Next, (and this is a good non-fry tortilla prep substitution) the recipe calls for the corn tortillas to be dipped (one at a time) into the reserved, warm broth from the chicken. It softens the tortillas so they won't crack (as much) when you go to roll the enchilada.

DSC_2390

Then, fill the tortilla with the chicken/spinach "cud" mixture, roll it up, and place it seam-side down in a 9 x 13 Pammed or Oiled Pyrex dish. Rinse and Repeat.

DSC_2391


After rolling all the tortillas, the recipe calls for you to "gently warm sour cream with a couple of tablespoons of the chicken broth." We don't have sour cream in Brazil (I did mention we live in Brazil, right?) So, I substituted this

DSC_2389


It's kinda like cream cheese, but a tad more pourable. Mixed with the broth, it worked fine. Once the enchiladas were properly coated with a thick, cheesy topping, I cooked them at 350 degrees (F) for 30 minutes.

Voilà

DSC_2393


The recipe calls for you to sprinkle the top with paprika, shredded cheese, and jalapeño slices, but I had some tomatillo sauce I needed to use, so our enchiladas got the verde treatment.
Overall, I'd say it was a success with the Fam, but I thought the filling was a tad dry. Next time, I'll mix a bit of the cheese sauce in with the chicken/spinach filling, and all should be good.


Recipe adapted from HERE

1 comment:

  1. I used to make a similar recipe years ago, and frankly had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete